Well hello everyone and Happy Wednesday!
As some of you know, Fall is my most favorite time of the year here in NYC and besides all the beautiful fall foliage colors, more pleasant temperatures, and official kick off to the holiday season, baking is one of the things I look forward to the most. I love to bake, I love the excitement I feel waiting to see the final result when it comes out of the oven.
My boyfriend and I have determined it takes me about three times making a dish for me to get it just right and although this was the first time I made this dish, it came out so delicious that I had to share it with you!!! I brought some into my office and my coworkers agreed, this Baked in the Apple Pie is definitely one recipe that will have your friends and family coming back for more!
What You Will Need (makes 10 baked apple pies)
12 granny smith apples,
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
– Heat oven to 375%
– Cut off the top of 10 apples off and discard. Remove the inside of each apple with a spoon very carefully, as to not puncture the peel (I actually used tools from my pumpkin carving kit I have at home for this part which made it SO much easier and fun to do and allowed me to salvage most of the removed apple to use for the filling!!)
– Remove skin from 2-3 additional apples and slice very thinly. These apple pieces will give you the extra filling needed to fill the ten apples you are baking.
– Mix sliced apples with leftover apple pieces from previously cored apples (being sure to discard any seeds or harder apple core pieces from apple pieces from the cored apples) combine with sugars and cinnamon in a bowl.
– Fill hollowed apples with apple pie filling.
– Make dough for pie crust (you can also use store bought pie crust but I prefer to make mine homemade using my favorite pie crust recipe you can find here)
– Divide dough into two halves
– Roll out first half of dough and slice into 1/2 inch strips to add a strip of pastry inside the top of the apple almost like a liner to add a little more texture/sweetness to the pie
– Roll out the second half of the dough and then slice thin 1/4 inch strips to create the lattice on the top of the baked in apple pie.
– after lining the inside of the tops of each filled apple with a ½ inch strip, place the 1/4 inch dough strips on the top of each apple pie to make a lattice and pinch the inside dough strips and outer edges of the pie together. ( I also cut out heart shapes from the cut off apple tops and baked them for about half the time on a separate cookie sheet and then sprinkled each with sugar after adding to the top of each pie while the pies finished baking.)
– Place apples in an 13 X 9 baking dish. Add just enough water to the cover the bottom of the pan. Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.
– Remove foil and with a pastry brush, use some of the drippings from the pies as a glaze for the top of each pie
– Bake for an additional 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and sliced apples are soft.